This time last year: Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal (2014)
Never have I ever truly craved a salad. I wish that was my life, but sadly, it is not. Chocolate, bread, coffee? Yes. I crave those every day. Salad? Mmmmm not so much.
However, a few weeks ago my dear friend Rachel invited me over to her house for lunch, and we whipped this salad together. The combination of goat cheese, fresh herbs, fruit, and colorful vegetables made for one of the most refreshing meals I’ve had all season! Thus for the first time, I was truly craving salad!
As the last glimpses of summer slip away, I had to dig up this recipe and enjoy the incredible combination of fruit and vegetables! No surprise- it was just as good as I had remembered it, and I am going to be enjoying it all week long!
If you’re not a huge salad person, give this a try. If you’re a huge salad person, you’re welcome for just changing your life.
Life should be colorful. Life should be healthy. Food should taste like this.
Dig in 🙂
Love, A Rented Kitchen
- 4-8 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil and parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 ears grilled corn, kernels removed from the cob (or one can of corn- no sodium added)
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh blackberries
- 1 peach, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup mixed toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas), pecans, walnuts, and/or pistachios
- 1 avocado, pitted + chopped
- 4-6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ -1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, basil, parsley, thyme, corn, tomatoes, red pepper, blackberries, peach, jalapeno, and nuts.
- In a separate mason jar or small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients until fully combined.
- Top the salad off with avocado and goat cheese, toss once more, and serve with dressing on the side or drizzled over top. Enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Want to add more protein? Try warming up 16 ounces of chickpeas and throwing those into the mix! They are an excellent healthy source of protein!
- Source: Half Baked Harvest
- Like this salad? Try these other healthy and seasonal dishes from A Rented Kitchen! (Recipe links below photos):