On This Day Last Year: Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Skins (2014)
I haven’t posted a sweet potato recipe since November. For those of you who know me, that’s Crazy Talk! I LOVE sweet potatoes!
Thus, I am super excited to share this delicious sweet potato hash brown recipe with you. It’s seriously delicious, and such a fun breakfast recipe!
This recipe is paleo (you’re welcome my paleo friends!). This recipe is also fairly straight forward, which means you can have fun with this! I added garlic to some of these hash browns, for some I added a little cinnamon, and for others I sprinkled the top with some shaved Parmesan. No worries though, these hash browns are delicious enough that you do not need to add anything extra! You will love them either way!
So, whether it’s potluck for dinner, or breakfast in bed, this recipe will be a hit!
Enjoy, and Happy Eating!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup almond flour*
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped (plus some for garnish)
- ¼ cup coconut oil*
- Pierce one of the sweet potatoes several times around with a fork. Wrap it in a damp paper towel, place it in a small bowl with ½ an inch of water, and microwave for 7-9 minutes, or until soft.
- Let this sweet potato cool off for five minutes, and then peel the potato, and mash the flesh in a medium sized bowl.
- Clean and peel the other sweet potatoes, and then grate them with a box grater using the largest holes available.
- Combine the mashed and grated potatoes, with the eggs, almond flour, sea salt, and green onion into a large bowl.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Drop the sweet potato cakes into the skillet using a ¼ cup measuring cup, and flatten with the back of the measuring cup. Cook the cakes for about five minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Once cooked, move to a plate with a paper towel to help drain the oil.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Source: Bravo for Paleo
- Don’t have almond flour or coconut oil? All purpose and regular olive or vegetable oil will also do the trick!
- Like this recipe? Try these other delicious breakfast dishes! (Recipe links found below!):