I woke up today and it was raining. It rained all day as I walked to and from my classes, and is still raining. It’s nearly 4pm! What is up Mother Nature?!
One fact of life, is that for most people, getting out of bed in the morning can be a struggle. When it is January and rainy however, getting out of bed is even worse! Never have I ever loved my comforter and pillow so much.
Here is where I bring you good news of great joy- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries. Feeling a little blue, or having trouble getting out of bed, try these pancakes! Very few things feel as summery and light as this delicious lemon and blueberry combination, the perfect solution to a cold rainy morning.
From Virginia, I wish you warmth, sunshine, and pancakes for everyone!
Love, A Rented Kitchen
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Butter, to serve (and for griddle)
- Fresh blueberries
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and stir until combined and a majority of the clumps are removed.
- Heat your frying pan or griddle to medium high heat, and add either a drizzle of olive oil or a dollop of butter to prevent sticking. Once warm, pour 1/3 cup of the batter into the skillet. Sprinkle a handful of blueberries onto the top of the cooking pancake. Once halfway cooked and the bottom is golden, after a few minutes, flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter and top with fresh blueberries and syrup.
Notes and Tips!:
- Source: Baking with Blondie
- If you like this recipe, try these other delicious dishes from ‘A Rented Kitchen!’ (Recipes links found below).