There’s something about Basil and fresh vegetables that just feels right for summer nights. Usually when I am craving some fresh basil and veggies I’ll throw together some pasta or make a pizza- easy go-to meals. A few nights ago however, I was in the need of something a little lighter, which led me to this delicious dish.
This dish has a lot of the flavors associated with pizza or pasta, but substitutes out the bread and carbs with delicious roasted eggplant, making this a nutritious and delicious gluten-free option. You’ll feel like you’re eating a pizza with the delicious melted mozzarella, Italian seasoning, and basil, however your body will feel much better than it does after pizza.
Serve these eggplant rolls as an appetizer or as a meal for two, with a big bowl of fresh fruit and a toss salad. Summer has arrived!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped basil + leaves to garnish
- 1 -14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes (with added herbs)
- Italian herb seasoning mix (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F and lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 8 thin slices. For the slices on the end and that primarily have skin on one side, feel free to grate some of that off (the skin can be slightly chewy if not cooked long enough!).
- Brush each slice with olive oil, place on the baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and sprinkle each slice with mozzarella cheese and basil. Roll each slice up and place in a single layer baking dish.
- Pour the can of chopped tomatoes over the eggplant slices and return the dish to the oven. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts.
- Remove the slices from the oven and garnish with additional basil leaves and a sprinkle of Italian herb seasoning mix on top. Serve warm and enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Yield: 4 servings
- Source: Easy Vegetarian Cookbook by Love Food
- If you like this recipe, check out these other yummy dishes from ‘a rented kitchen!’: