Well, here it is! The fifth and final taco in my series, “Let’s Taco’bout it!” Of all the tacos posted in the last few weeks, I think this was my favorite one! The flavor combination of the zesty chipotle, the citrusy lime and mango, and the sweet agave and pomegranate bits, combine to create one beautiful meal. My talented boyfriend Brian, even made homemade tortillas for these tacos, which were absolutely incredible! (Look for that recipe soon!) Although I am sure this looks like a lot of work, I promise you, this meal is not very hard, and will only take you 30 minutes! Give it a try! Seriously, there’s so much to love. And don’t forget to try the other tacos in this series as well!
Day One: Spiced Corn and Bean Tacos
Day Two: Island Tacos
Day Three: Veggie Tacos
Day Four: Tempeh Tacos with Avocado-Lime Sauce
Lime Cilantro Superfood Quinoa
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup chopped kale
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- salt to taste (feel free to try a seasoned salt here!)
- Cook the quinoa by bringing 1 cup dry quinoa and 1 ½ cups water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the head to a simmer, top with a tight fitting lid, and allow to cook untouched for 15- 20 minutes. (While this is cooking, get started on the tofu and mango topping!)
- After 20 minutes, remove from heat, but allow to sit untouched for another 5.
- Fluff with fork and add the chopped kale, parsley, cilantro, lime juice and zest, as well as other seasonings to the pot. Stir together and garnish with lime wedges.
Chipotle Tofu Ingredients:
Yield: 12 small triangles
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu (1 block)
- 1-2 teaspoons safflower oil (or other)
- 1-2 Tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon mixed seasoning*
- Salt (as desired)
- Spritz of lime juice
- Slice tofu into 12 triangles and squeeze dry using paper towels or a hand rag (this can take a while!)
- Head oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the tofu triangles.
- Drizzle each triangle with soy sauce, agave, and sprinkle with seasonings. Flip and repeat this on the other side. Continue to cook each triangle, occasionally adding more seasoning or sauce if desired, until crispy on the outside- about 6 minutes total.
- Squeeze a little lime juice over the top of the triangles and remove from heat.
Mango Avocado Topping
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 ½ avocados, diced
- 1 champagne mango, diced
- 2 limes, squeezed
- 2 Tablespoons dried pomegranate bits
Mango Topping Directions:
- Combine the fruit in a bowl, toss well, and plate.
Assemble each taco with a few spoonfuls of the quinoa, a few tofu triangles, and a scoop of the mango avocado topping! Enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- The mixed seasoning blend I used for the tofu was a herb and dry vegetable blend with lots of garlic, onion powder, oregano, etc. It helped to add a little more texture and flavor to the tofu. You can find these blends in the spice section of your grocery store, and pick one that seems to fit your pallet! Pay attention to whether you want a salted or unsalted version. This particular spice blend was unsalted, which I preferred since the soy sauce is relatively salty.
- Gluten free? Try corn tortillas!
- Slightly adapted from: Kathy at Vegan Lunchbox
- Check out some other delicious recipes from ‘a rented kitchen,’ like these Southwestern Egg Rolls, Teriyaki Tofu and Pineapple Bake, and my Quinoa and Parmesan Kale Patties!