When I started brainstorming for “Let’s Taco’bout It” I kept imagining fruit in a taco. That might sound weird, but hear me out. I have a history of homemade black bean and mango enchiladas. They are some one of my family’s favorite dishes. I wanted to try and apply that same sweet and savory combination to one of my tacos, without getting tooo crazy. Thus, I decided pineapple would be the fruit, and that led to the creation of these Island tacos. With sautéed pineapple and seasoned soy crumbles, these tacos hit the spot! Give them a try and don’t forget to come back later this week for more taco recipes!
Day 1 of ‘Let’s taco-bout it’ Taco Series: Spiced Black Bean and Corn Tacos!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ package of soy crumbles
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- ½ fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ yellow or white onion, cut into small strips
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 leaves of romaine lettuce, cut into thin strips
- 8 corn tortillas
- Suggested toppings: crumbled queso fresco, Salsa
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add the soy crumbles, spices, and lime juice to the pan. Mix well and stir frequently.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the pineapple chunks, soy sauce, jalapeno, and onion slices over medium-high heat.
- Arrange the tortillas on a plate, and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 20-30 seconds to help give the tortillas some moisture.
- Assemble your tacos with pieces of shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, soy crumbles, sautéed pineapple chunks, and top with crumbled queso fresco and a spoonful of salsa.
Notes and Tips!: