I have been in a really big soup mood recently. I keep catching myself flipping through my cookbooks only to end up in the soup section, over and over. I think this new soup-passion is the result of three main reasons:
- Soups are an excellent way to have a healthy meal full of vegetables, and who doesn’t like that?!
- Soups make excellent leftovers (music to my busy ears)
- It’s January!
January should be national soup month, seriously. With chilly wintery weather, there is nothing better than coming home from a long day of class to a warm bowl of soup.
I have not made many soups before (see the notes below for links to some of my other soups!), so I have had fun experimenting with new recipes. My wonderful boyfriend has given me a few cookbooks over the past few years, and this recipe comes from one of those cookbooks. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did! With chili powder, cilantro, black beans, and crushed tortilla chips, this soup echoes similarities of taco soups. The beauty of this recipe however, lies in the lime juice, zucchini, and squash. The inclusion of squash will make you daydream of veggie fajitas, and the lime juice is simply a treat for the taste buds! Give it a try, before January’s gone!
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetarian broth
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Parsley
- 1 small zucchini, peeled and quartered
- 1 small yellow squash, peeled and quartered
- 1 15 oz. can rinsed and drained black beans
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 Tablespoons shredded jack cheese
- 4 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cups multigrain tortilla chips, slightly crushed
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic to the pan. Sauté for about two minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the broth, spices, zucchini, squash, black beans, and tomato to the pot.
- Cook on medium-high heat until the squash and zucchini are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice to the pot and stir well. (Depending on your taste preferences now is an excellent time to add more spices or lime juice to suit your taste!)
- Serve warm with crushed chips, shredded cheese, and cilantro on top. Enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Yield: 4 servings
- Gluten Free? Replace the multi-grain tortilla chips with a gluten free chip, or omit the chip altogether
- Vegan? Replace the pepper jack cheese with soy cheese, or omit the cheese altogether!
- Adapted from “Amazing Soy” cookbook by Dana Jacobi
- I doubled this recipe for a dinner party and was able to enjoy the leftovers several times! This soup keeps great refrigerated and in a sealed container. Simply microwave a bowl for 90 seconds and you have yourself a delicious and healthy leftover meal!
- Check out these other delicious soup recipes! Sweet Potato Thai Soup and Vegan Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili with homemade Tortilla chips