Day 5 of Five Days of Appetizers for the Holidays!
Day One: Thai Peanut Vegetable Dip
Day Three: Superfood Guacamole
Day Four: Vegetable Wontons
Trail mix is one of the most simple and ideal party foods to have. It is easy to eat, easy to serve, and an enjoyable snack to munch on. Trail mix also makes for a brilliant gift! Make a batch of this holiday trail mix, divide it in between a few holiday tins, and you will have an excellent thank you gift for friends, teachers, or neighbors.
I am aware that there are hundreds of variations possible with trail mix, and all offer similar advantages. These photos feature one of my favorite ingredient combinations for trail mix, which happens to fit perfectly with the season; drawing on holiday themed colors with white chocolate chips and red craisins, as well as season appropriate flavors with the apple cinnamon Chex mix. However, because people love options, I have also supplied a few optional trail mix variations for your pleasure below. Check them out, have fun, and get creative with your own trail mix!
All in all, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain with this simple recipe.
Featured Trail Mix Ingredients:
- ½ Bag of Pretzels (I used holiday shaped Pretzels!)
- 1 Bag of Craisins
- ½ – 1 Bag white chocolate chips
- ½ – 1 Bag dark chocolate morsels
- ½ – ¾ Box of Apple Cinnamon Chex Mix
In a large bowl, combine the above ingredients and toss. I suggest using about half a box of Chex mix and pretzels at first, however base those proportions off of your own preference. If serving this trail mix at a holiday party or gathering, you may want to add more of certain ingredients halfway through the gathering.
- S’mores Trail Mix: Mini marshmallows, teddy graham crackers, and chocolate chips
- Road Trip Trail Mix: Raisins, M&Ms, peanuts, pretzel rods
- Sweet Winter Trail Mix: Candied Walnuts, white chocolate covered raisins, cheerios, dried cherries
- Health Nut Trail Mix: Raw almonds, raw sunflower seeds, dried pineapple, raisins
- Protein Trail Mix: Kashi Golean Crunch Cereal, dried mango, raw almonds/walnuts, freeze-dried blueberries
- Savory Trail Mix: Popcorn, roasted edamame or Wasabi peas, raw sunflower seeds, pretzels
Notes and Tips!:
- Using a full bag/ box of everything makes for a lot of trail mix. This makes for a great gift though and is ideal for parties! Base your preferred proportions off of your intended use.