All right, I know the title says “cookie” in the name, so you are probably assuming this is not a healthy recipe- but read that ingredient list again! As far as healthy and filling breakfast options go, these pancakes are an excellent choice. With peanut butter for protein, flax seed for fiber, and banana and agave in place of a sweetener- you are without a doubt starting your morning off right! Or who’s to say breakfast for dinner isn’t a great idea?!
Regardless of when, I hope you do try these pancakes, and I hope you enjoy them as much as my house did. Pancakes for dinner might be just the thing for this cold rainy day. I’m just sayin’!
- 1 ripe medium banana
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed + 2.5 Tablespoon hot water)
- Pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon canola or coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons almond milk (or sub other milk)
- 1 Tablespoon agave.
- ½ cup rolled oats*
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour*
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat (300- 325˚F) with a drizzle of olive oil in the pan.
- Prepare the flax egg by adding 2-3 tablespoons hot water to the ground flaxseed in a small cup. Allow the mixture to let sit for 3-5 minutes, or until gelatinous.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the banana with the baking powder.
- Add the agave, oil, salt, vanilla, peanut butter, almond milk, and flax egg to the bowl. Stir until completely mixed.
- Once the wet ingredients are combined, add in the oats and flour- stirring until just blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a ¼ measuring cup, pour small rounds of the batter onto the heated skillet and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side- until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
Notes and Tips!:
- Yield: 5-6 small pancakes, serves 2
- Gluten free: substitute gluten free oats and flour in for the rolled oats and whole wheat flour.
- Vegan: use dairy-free chocolate chips instead of regular chips!
- Feel free to substitute almond butter for the peanut butter! It has a more mild taste, but I always avoid almond butter due to a nut allergy in the house.
- Source: Minimalist Baker
- If you like this recipe, you should check out my Apple Spice Pancakes and Baked Fruit and Chocolate Oatmeal!