Hello readers! As I mentioned in my previous post, I have been lucky enough to enjoy a little family vacation this week at the beach. In other words, I still am writing to you from a rented kitchen, it’s just not the teeny rented kitchen I’m used to working in. Quite the opposite actually, the house we are renting this week has a kitchen that appears to have been built for crowds, and has more counter space than I could ever dream of. It looks like it came right out of a pinterest post. In other words, I’ve been spoiled this week, and have Loved playing in that kitchen.
This recipe is one dish I prepared to go with our dinner a few nights ago. It’s simple, delicious, and quite healthy for you! By baking the zucchini you avoid a lot of the fat that comes with frying. It also was flavorful enough that my father, who is not a zucchini fan, was asking for seconds! That’s a victory in my book. Hope you enjoy!
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425° and prepare a large baking sheet by spraying with a thin layer of cooking spray.
- Combine the first five ingredients together in a medium bowl, and whisk until completely blended.
- Pour the milk in a shallow bowl.
- One at a time, dip the zucchini slices in the milk, submerging both sides, and then dip in the breadcrumb mixture- coating each slice with a thin layer of bread crumbs.
- Arrange the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until browned and crisp.
- For best results, serve immediately.
Notes and Tips!:
- Depending on how thinly you slice your zucchini, they may not need the full 30 minutes. Make sure to check on them some throughout the cooking process.
- To Make vegan: substitute nutritional yeast for the bread crumbs and cheese, add Italian spices, and use rice/soy/almond milk instead of skim milk.
- Source: Health